i got a call at 2 am the night i turned 30. my partner was throwing all my things out on our lawn. again. the worst part is i wasn’t shocked. i’d told our roommate to expect it and to give me a call if anything happened.
thankfully, it was the last time i took this sort of abusive behavior. i packed what things i could and never went back.
five years later, birthdays are hard to celebrate. no surprise that this traumatic situation still lingers and has caused lots of anxiety. plus, as a black woman, i’m not always the best at celebrating myself. on my 35th birthday, i decided it was time for a change.
i booked a facial, had not one, but TWO parties, spoke at a conference and overall did boss shit. unlike 30, i made 35 my own. it’s a sign that i’ve claimed my healing.
shot out to a bomb therapist, acupuncturist and sister’s circle for supporting my work to heal. aside from their support, i made it my mission to create a new narrative about life.
top 35 lessons from 35 years of life:
- i am the radical embodiment of love.
- i’ve made no mistake that matters today.
- i deserve forgiveness.
- i am becoming, blooming and blessed.
- an ounce of gratitude will manifest a mountain of wealth.
- do more of what you love.
- whatever, however and whoever i am is more than enough.
- i love myself.
- i am a vessel for god’s work on earth.
- i know god is real.
- blessings flow infinitely.
- high vibrations attract high vibrations.
- set your intention and give it all your attention.
- beauty cannot be diminished or minimized. it can only be magnified.
- everything will be ok in the end. if it’s not okay, then it’s not the end.
- i am the hope and dream of the enslaved.
- be gentle with yourself.
- self-care is revolutionary.
- some things aren’t meant to be kept.
- more flow, less resistance.
- give your intentions your attention.
- allow abundance to manifest.
- no one said it would be easy. no one said you couldn’t overcome.
- where’s your crown? wear your crown.
- mistakes make miracles.
- fear is a liar.
- learn something new everyday.
- i can do anything that is well and good.
- embrace the unknown.
- roadblocks are challenges to rise above, not barriers to opportunities.
- keep praying, you’re blessing’s on its way.
- someone, somewhere is waiting on you to heal.
- stop fearing your greatness.
- trust the vision that god has given you.
- just breathe.
overall, these beliefs got me through the toughest times. some i’ve mastered, others are still guiding my journey. i encourage you to write them on sticky notes, notebooks, billboards — whatever it takes to surround yourself with love. be well.