i hate makeup trends. after spending hours trying to create on fleek eyebrows and completely failing at contouring, i asked myself a simple question. why am i doing all this?
the truth is instagram and youtube had me convinced that my typical makeup routine wasn’t enough. as if the only way to beat your face is by following the latest trends. that’s whack, and i’m tired of trying to replicate professional looks.
don’t get me wrong, i love makeup and admire makeup artists. but, i’m down for creating a natural beat and would rather focus my energy on developing healthy skin.
my no makeup-makeup must haves perfect for folks on the go or who prefer a natural look:
- foundation: i love lightweight foundations that are buildable to give a full coverage look. thanks to vlogger destiny godly, marc jacobs genius gel foundation is my jam. i lightly apply it with a stippling brush during the day and add a bit more if i’m going for a night time glam look. (who am i kidding — my “glam” look just means i add eyeshadow to the mix.)
- concealer/highlight: i purchased a $50 contouring palate that’s collecting dust. instead of mixing an array of colors to paint on cheekbones and slice my nose, i instead use nars radiant creamy concealer. i apply it under my eyes to hide dark spots and dab a bit on my forehead and chin to give a simple highlight.
- brow pencil: i’ve given up on creating the “perfect” eyebrows, but still love a more defined look. anastasia beverly hills’ brow wiz is the best pencil i’ve ever used. the ebony color blends with my natural brow color and skin perfectly. just a few short strokes to fill in sparse spots typically does the trick.
- bronzer/illuminators: this is my favorite product because it gives a pop to a natural look without doing too much. the one above is from nyx, but milani, color pop and nars also have great illuminators.
- mascara: for most products i’m down for a drug store brand or dupe, but mascara is one thing worth the splurge. my natural lashes are long, and investing in quality mascara allows them to show up and show out. benefit’s bad gal lash is my favorite for length and volume.
if you have oily skin, i’d definitely throw in a primer and translucent powder to control shine. of course, you can top off your look with a bold lipstick like mac’s ruby woo or a natural color similar to coloured raine’s truffle raine (for my brown skin baddies). most importantly, just have fun and be you! makeup isn’t supposed to be hard.
what’s your makeup philosophy? any must have products?